Although it has been a little colder this past week, however not as cold as what my family has had in Ontario, summer is not over yet! The BBQ is still calling our name and what better way to enjoy the patio than with these healthy and light Mediterranean Turkey Burgers. They are so easy to make and delicious. The recipe is from Fraiche Nutrition.
A few health benefits of these burgers:
- Turkey - A good protein alternative to red meat. We tend to eat more red meat in the summer due to BBQ season. According to whfoods.com, turkey has recently been shown to help keep post-meal insulin levels within a healthy range. It is also a source of B vitamins. Try to buy organic when possible.
- Parsley - Not just a garnish! It is a good source of antioxidants and vitamin C. It is also good for our poor livers.
- Garlic - This pungent spice is a great immune booster and good for the heart. Think allicin (the active component in garlic) = immune.
1 lb. of ground turkey
The zest of one lemon
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
tzatziki and parsley to garnish (I made my own tzatziki with plain yogurt, garlic, grated cucumber, lemon zest, and salt and pepper...yum!)
- Mix all of the ingredients, except the tzatziki and parsley for garnish, together in a bowl (don't over mix). Form into patties and place covered in refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Place the burger on a preheated BBQ and cook until done, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Garnish with a dollop of tzatziki and some fresh chopped parsley and serve with a tomato slice and either a lettuce burger or bun. Serve with your favourite salad.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!
In health and happiness,
(Photo credit: www.jillianharris.com/blog - Yes...from the bachelorette)