Warning: This is not a Christmas cookie but still delicious :)
These are a great option if you need something quick in the morning, or something a little sweet in the afternoon. They are grain/gluten-free and egg-free, great for those with food sensitivities or who are on an elimination diet. With only 1 tablespoon of sweetener, you can snack on them guilt free. Just avoid eating the whole batch, like I was tempted to do! This recipe is adapted from Against All Grain. She uses dried cherries and sliced almonds, so feel free to substitutes the fruit and/or nuts with what you like. Even try substituting peanut or cashew butter for the almond butter. Still just as tasty.
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted almond butter, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup raisins (or unsulfured and unsweetened dried cherries, chopped)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces (80% cacao)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or sliced almond for on top)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup hot water and the ground chia seeds and let sit at room temperature while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the almond butter, flaxseed, arrowroot, applesauce, maple syrup, cinnamon, lemon juice, nutmeg, ginger and sea salt. Mix to combine fully. (Option to use a stand mixer.)
- Add the thickened chia mixture to the bowl with the baking soda and beat again until fully combined. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and chocolate pieces.
- Using a cookie scoop or a large spoon, drop dough onto the lined baking sheets. Wet fingers slightly with warm water and gently press the mounds down to flatten slightly. (Optional: Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sliced almonds.)
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Cool on a wire rack completely before serving.
Enjoy and happy holidays!
In health & happiness,