This Food Friday post is inspired by Kelly Brogan's book "A Mind of Your Own," and her cob salad. I just put my usual spin on it. If you have not heard of this yet, and suffer from depression, anxiety or even just low mood, please check it out. It is such a refreshing read full of great ideas and resources. Her concept, focusing on diet and lifestyle, are what NDs have been focused on for many years, so I am happy to see it come to more a mainstream light.
This is such a simple salad to make and a light alternative now that we are getting some warmer days. It is packed with nourishing protein and fats and you can check off your greens for the day (or meal). It is also gluten and dairy free, a great options for a spring cleanse (Join me for my annual Spring Cleanse in a couple weeks!). Mix in other options to your liking as well!
- 2 large handfuls of mixed greens
- 1/4-1/2 shredded chicken breast
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1/2 tin sardines or anchovies
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1 tomato, large dice
- 1-2 tbsp toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 strips local bacon (I like Getaway Form Butcher Shop), cooked
- optional - 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- optional - broccoli sprouts
- EVOO + balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and toss together with a little EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Pretty simple :)
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
In health & happiness,