Are you looking for a quick yet delicious meal that is still healthy? These pomegranate chicken tacos, aside from the wraps, are prepared in a slow cooker so they can be put together quickly when you get home from work! This recipe is great if you are on an elimination diet, avoiding gluten or just looking for a healthy option. They can be even made paleo if you use plantains to make the wraps or use fresh collard greens.
I have made these tacos using different variations for a wrap and I have to say using homemade wraps makes the meal! You can find the recipe for brown rice tortillas here. It is so simple! I don’t own a tortilla press but using my hands, a rolling pin or a heavy pot to flatten them works just fine with the flour between two pieces of parchment paper. Leftover chicken can be added to lunches with a kale salad or something along those lines.
- 1-1.5 lbs organic or local chicken breast, skinless, boneless
- 1 cup pure pomegranate juice
- 1 small onion, halved and cut into half-moons
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Brown rice tortillas (recipe here) or collard green leaves
- thinly sliced napa cabbage or romaine lettuce
- sliced avocado
- thin strips of cucumber
- mayonnaise (vegan if prepared)
- broccoli sprouts (optional)
- Before work place all the ingredients of the chicken in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 or so hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it on a plate or cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken then place it back in the slow cooker and mix it into the cooked onions and juices. Let it cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes more.
- During this time, make the tortillas using brown rice flour or almond flour and tapioca flour (I find this works better than arrowroot). Add more tapioca flour until you can easier form a ball of dough. Continue with recipe from here. Be sure to eat when tortillas are still warm to avoid them breaking too much.
- To assemble the tacos, spread a small amount of mayonnaise on the tortilla. Place a scoop of the shredded chicken into the centre of each tortilla, then add a small handful of greens, a few slices of avocado, a small handful of cucumber and a tbsp broccoli sprouts. Fold in half and enjoy! It gets a little juicy so watch out 😃
Let me know what you think!
In health & happiness,