It's Nutrition Month! I have been debating whether to post this recipe on my website considering it is a little heavier on the calories than my usual Food Friday posts, however I have received rave reviews everytime I make it I just couldn't deprive you!
I cannot take credit for this dish. Against All Grain and a want to decrease grains in my diet to help clear up some skin issues inspired me to make it. This dish is so easy to make and can feed a group if you multiple the recipe (I fed 14 people who all loved it!). However, if you do not like spice skip this one but the creamy dressing does cool it down. Oh my this dressing is so good! I am dairy free however I make an exception for this dressing as I am ok with a little bit of goat cheese.
Going grain free can have several benefits. If you are trying to lose weight, struggling with diabetes or metabolic syndrome, suffer from any inflammatory condition such as eczema, lupus or Hashimoto's, trying a Paleo diet may be for you. There are many resources online as well as cookbooks such as the Whole 30 Cookbook and Against All Grain that come in handy. If you surround yourself with inspiration it make this change much easier. Ensure the meat you are eating is good quality. Buying from your local butcher or market is best when you can.
For this dish, the sweet potato replaces a bun or white potato. A starchy vegetable like this should be eaten once/day if you are trying to lose weight. Sweet potato is great for those with "Spleen Qi Deficiency" caused by stress or worry causing bloating and fatigue. In Chinese Medicine it is thought of as a sweet food, therefore can substitute any more processed comfort foods you are leaning towards. Baked sweet potato is full of vitamin C, vitamin A and other anti-inflammatory nutrients so do not miss out on this delicious veggie!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 small/medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast, about 1 pound
- 1/2 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce e.g. Franks
- 1/3 cup ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp white vinegar, necessary for the right taste
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, regular or avocado base
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Rub the skins of the potatoes all over with melted oil and pat them with sea salt. Prick them with a fork a few times and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Make the filling: Bring the chicken breasts, cayenne pepper hot sauce, coconut oil, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and white vinegar to a simmer in a pot. Cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by adding all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisking to combine until the big crumbles of cheese are broken up.
- Shred the chicken breasts with a fork and add the celery and carrots to the pot with the excess sauce. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Cut slits in the tops of the cooked sweet potatoes and open them up a bit with a fork.
- Spoon the filling into the cooked sweet potatoes, top with the Creamy Dressing and serve. Option to add green onion or cilantro. It’s that easy!
Total time - 60 minutes
In health & happiness,